Topband: WAJA 160

wa5pok wa5pok at peoplepc.com
Sat Mar 31 16:01:08 EST 2007

Lots of different viewpoints on QSOs vs. QSLs vs. Wallpaper and
each one is correct. It is only a matter of what drives a person to
their own personal satisfaction and enjoyment of the hobby.

Today I received 160 DXCC certificate # 1293. It will go into the
drawer but the QSLs are going back on the wall. Before I finally got
off dead center, to take down the cards to send them in, another
DXer was visiting my shack for the first time and saw the cards.  He
asked, "Your first hundred?" I proudly replied, "YUP!" He lost
interest in them until I added, "On 160." His interest went from very
acute to amazement and then envy towards those QSLs on my wall.
Priceless I smiled to myself.

Oh yeah, my station ... 600w max output with a near invisible
inverted "L" on a 90' X 60' deed-restricted lot in suburban Houston.
Lots of neighborhood noise, lots of Houston noise, and lots of Gulf
of Mexico noise.

This summer I'll post details to provide encouragement and ideas
for others in the same position. Helpful information has come from
Tom's page, five of ON4UN's books, and info posted on this
reflector.

73, Mike WA5POK