Topband: Earl K6SE - how it all began

James Kearman jkearman at att.net
Thu May 3 15:16:48 EDT 2007

Tom Rauch wrote:
> I used a VF-1 Heathkit as a BFO. Same exact method.

I found a circuit for a 455 kHz BFO using an IF transformer, but it
didn't work. I had to listen for a harmonic of the oscillator, which
used a long brass screw to turn the slug, so at least it had enough
range. The receiver was an ancient floor job (acquired for 75 cents at
the Salvation Army), and only later did I figure out that the IF was
probably 262 kHz or something else below 455. On my first QSO with my
local Elmer, he was so strong, it's a good thing he had a little hum on
his signal, because that's how I copied him. He was stronger than my
BFO. Being crystal controlled wasn't all bad, as the tuning rate on that
radio was pretty quick! I just left it parked near 3724 and waited for
someone to call CQ. Compared to that thing, getting a Command Set was
like inheriting an S Line.

73,

Jim, KR1S
Author of "The DXCC Handbook," on sale now from ARRL