Topband: Which is most important RX parameter against lighting?

D Andersen w7dddd at msn.com
Wed May 30 11:43:52 EDT 2007

I think the tools that help with lightning include;

#1 A VERY directive receive antenna.. I like Beverage antennas and I use 12
of them.  They provide azimuth and elevation rejection.  Since lightning is
usually from a higher angle than DX the elevation rejection is very
important.  I never like an antenna that receives much above 45 degrees
elevation and the lower the better.

#2 A receiver with a GOOD noise blanker can reduce the "strength" and
"harshness" of lightning.  I like the old Kenwood's, the R4C with the 4NB
and now the IC-756PROIII.

#3 A receiver with a GOOD digital noise reduction.  I have purchased every
audio NR box made but I like the built-in one on the IC-756PROIII the best.
I sometimes find myself using the auto or manual notch to quite the receiver
too.

#4 I find that some of the surplus military headphones really help with
noise/audio shaping.  Some are better than others and my favorite of the day
is the H-216/U.

I am very interested to hear what others do.  This is an interesting
subject.

73's,
Don, w7dd