Topband: One way propagation

k3bu at optonline.net k3bu at optonline.net
Sun Nov 11 22:06:02 EST 2007

> The solution --- if it might be called one! --- would be for
> EACH of the
> lasers to simultaneously re-focus upon the re-adjusted / higher
> mirrors,with the hope that the reflected energy might in turn
> reach the opposite
> station with ample energy (or, if the received signal is coming
> in at, say,
> a high angle, then a high-angle transmitting antenna should be
> utilized, in
> turn)...
>>
> ~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

Don't get too hanged up on mirrors. There is also quite a bit of refraction - ducting going on especially on lower frequencies. See my article at
http://www.k3bu.us/propagation.htm
one time was poo-pooed as ridiculous, now it is getting more acceptance that we are also ducting, besides "mirroring". How do you model atmo/ionosphere between here and Eu? Car (or animal :-) exhaust and a flashlight?

Just think, on long, medium waves and 160 you can hear the station's signals from "here" to DX "there" and everything in between, hardly any "skip" or bouncing mirrors, or dead "skip" zones (mostly).
Recent example from SN3R comment:  "All overseas signals weak, excepting VY2ZM, W3LPL and K3BU who was 57 one hour after my SR!"  We have comparably similar stations, able to "shoot" at low angles, yet there was not a peep from Euros around that time - S7 vs. nil.

How many times some can not work station when it peaks on receive (keeps CQing) and a bit later when signal is dropping, they would come back. Yes there is spotlight, polarization shift, varying angles, but denying that there is one way (enhanced) propagation and trying to replace the complicated atmo/ionosphere with mirror and laser is just plain simplistic and proves nothing.

Reminds me old argument that we had here that it is impossible to have 160m signals coming at high angles, that way back I described, now it's OK (as well as "long beverages are no good" and "3/8 vertical can't beat 4 sq at low angles", etc.)

Anyway, top band records are updated, congrats to new CQ WW CW "beaters": low power - K1PX, VP9I (WA4PGM); high power - GM3POI, W4ZV, K3BU/8. Any goofs, please let me know. Let's hope for some decent propagation for CW weekend.

73  Yuri, K3BU.us