Topband: Using wires from large trees as verticals?

EP Swynar gswynar at durham.net
Wed Nov 14 12:46:04 EST 2007

On 14th November, Ken wrote...

"...Currents induced in a low resistance conductor can then re-radiate the
RF with little loss, and a change in the net radiation pattern..."

*************************************

Sorry guys, but I'm afraid I STILL don't follow the logic in my cement-head
here...!

Please bear with me, & let me put it to the group this way: suppose you had
two choices of operating locations on 160-meters in a DX-pedition --- which
one would you choose? You can set-up your station --- AND ALL OF YOUR
ANTENNAS ---  either:

(A) smack dab in the middle of a high-rise building, replete with relatively
low resistance steel support columns all around you, or,

(B) smack dab in the middle of a Yellowstone Park-like forest, replete with
relatively high resistance fir trees all around you...?

>From which location would you both hear better from, and be better heard...?

And why...?!

I know this is all just silly confecture & speculation & hardly the "real
world", but it does give one cause to pause & think about accepted truisms,
& what is maybe merely perceived to be truth...n'est ce pas?

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ