Topband: Antennas in trees

EP Swynar gswynar at durham.net
Wed Nov 14 18:26:53 EST 2007

On 14th November, Tom wrote...

"...Eddy VE3CUI suggested that a lossy tree is better than a mast - not true
Eddy because the tree is resistive and any RF current induced in it will be
dissipated as I squared R heat. A metal mast on the other hand will not be
so lossy."

*********************************

Hi Tom,

I hate to belabour the point, but do I understand it then that it's far
better to have the vertical supported by a steel tower, simply so that the
induced RF current in it might then be better diverted to ground, with a
minimum of loss...?!

In either instance, any such induced RF current is a loss anyway...correct?

The logic / reasoning in that notion continues to escape me...

...And no one has yet answered my hypothetical question --- with supporting
arguments --- about the better location for an all-inclusive portable
set-up, i.e. inside a steel building, or out in the woods...!

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ