Topband: Antennas in trees

Tom Boucher tom at telemetry.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 15 03:41:54 EST 2007

Tom

My antenna was actually touching the branches - I had pulled it in close to
get a maximum height of about 83'. I have only pulled it away by a few feet
to miss the branches but my measurements showed a drop, at resonance before
matching and pruning, from 35 + j12 to 21 + j15. That's with 19 radials. One
other factor; the land under the antenna slopes quite steeply and I have
pulled the lower part of the antenna away from the bank as far as possible.

I would have thought I would see a lower feed impedance with the antenna
closer to the tree/ground, not higher.

73
Tom G3OLB