Topband: Silver Plated Conductor

LA5HE Ragnar Otterstad la5he at otterstad.dk
Wed Nov 21 06:53:19 EST 2007

GEORGE WALLNER wrote:

>Would silver plating the conductors make a practical
>difference? There is no significant heating of the
>conductors now with full legal power.

Before you consider silver plating a coil, here is something you should
know.  At 2 MHz the RF skin depth in silver is 0.00178 inches.  You need
about three skin depths of plating, that's about 0.0053 inches.  If you
just walk into a plating shop and say, here silver plate this, you will
get about 0.00002 inches.  "Highly polish-able" grade silver plating is
0.001 inches and costly. You need 5 times that.  It's going to be
expensive.  Most ham coils used at low frequencies are silver plated
just for appearance purposes.-

In marine transmitters all coils I have seen were silverplated. My
understand is that
2-3 mikron was used, whatever that is in medival terms.
73  Rag LA5HE

--
Jeg bruker gratisversjonen av SPAMfighter for privatbrukere.
 Den har fjernet 1795 soppelpostmeldinger til na.