Topband: Nightfall of Beverage's type antennas ???

Wolfgang Wessely Wessely at asamnet.de
Tue Nov 27 11:32:23 EST 2007

Hello Jarda,
first I should thank you for the very interesting summary and for the
description of your rceiving-systems!
We know, that it is not common to give all those experience to others...
Thank you!!!

I am one of DL0AO www.qrz.com/dl0ao and my job is the receiving-system
for the lowbands, expecially 160m.
Of course, we do not have such a superb location like you, but we do our
best... ;-)
I am able to make several single-beverages between 150-300m to NA, SA,
Asia, JA, which we cannot build like a star, mostly trough the wood, but
they work and we can switch it from the shack. Otherwise I am using a
preamp. These stystem is working well and we could make good DX on
topband e.g. Peter I.,  3B9, VK9D, YJ, YW0, 3B7, V88 a few weeks ago,
recent contest-weekend B1Z, a.s.o.

Of course, I have the intension to optimize every beverage with my
MFJ-analyzer. See picture attached...

May I ask you about a problem with a beverage, which I cannot understand...
I have my daugther at the other end of the wire to turn a
carbon-potentiometer for best SWR staying me at the other end, where I
do the measurement with the MFJ-analyzer for minimum SWR.
Then I measure the potentiometer-value and change it for a resistor.

Now at this beverage I wonder, that the potentiometer shows 80-90 Ohms
for best SWR!
My questions: why this low resistor-value? Is it regardless, which
resitor-value we use, or should/can I always use 450 Ohms - no
measurement. Do I make any  basic-error?
The only reason I suppose, could be the low high of that antenna
averaged around 75cm above the ground. What do you think about?

TNX in advance!
Wolfgang - DJ3TF
www.qrz.com/dj3tf