Topband: Oregon High Desert report

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Fri Oct 12 17:17:20 EDT 2007

K7TJR:
>I see some top-band high angle arrays with gain in my antenna future. Ahh another top-band challenge..

        A simple dipole or inverted-V with apex about 100' up gives ~7 dBi gain at 90 degrees.  Orientation is unimportant since the TOA is straight up.  Higher horizontal antennas begin to depress the high angle lobe so lower is better for high angles (which is what you want to complement your vertical array).

http://users.vnet.net/btippett/new_page_10.htm

In high angle conditions, a 100' horizontal antenna is often better on both RX and TX than a Beverage/4-Square RX/TX combination.

                                    73,  Bill  W4ZV