Topband: Binocular Xfrmr Follow-Up

Mike(W5UC) & Kathy(K5MWH) w5uc at suddenlink.net
Fri Oct 19 08:25:52 EDT 2007

Good Morning All:

First, my sincere thanks to the many who responded to my
dilemma.  Your generous outpouring of information was interesting and
educational. The most interesting part of it is that you confirmed
that I had built the xfrmr correctly. With such a tremendous amount
of information leaning in that direction, yesterday I built a new
xfrmr on a standard 43 Mix core, and replaced the binocular
core.  There wasn't much to work with on the band last night, but
with what there was, I determined that things were back to normal. Success.

THEN, with the supporting data from so many of you, I did an autopsy
on the binocular core xfrmr. I am surprised, and somewhat embarrassed
with what I found. I had used some relatively new enameled wire for
the 3 turn low-Z winding. Then, I used wire from another spool for
the hi-Z winding because it is a different color. That spool is one
that I have had for a great many years, and appears to have been my
undoing. The low-Z wire was the inner winding, but was clean & slick
when removed, but the hi-Z winding was rough as if it were all
scratched up. I haven't been able to determine visually if the
coating is gone in the rough spots, but everything leans in that
direction. Apparently the enamel has deteriorated to beyond it's
useful life. I guess that's the price I pay for being a pack rat.

I will rebuild the xfrmr using the same core, but all new wire.
Again, thanks for all the inputs. Stand by for news.

73,
Mike, W5UC

"age & treachery will overcome youth & skill"
http://www.suddenlink.net/pages/w5uc/