Topband: AIM4170 antenna analyzer

John Kaufmann john.kaufmann at verizon.net
Tue Sep 4 10:17:38 EDT 2007

A some of you may know, the AIM4170 antenna/impedance analyzer was introduced recently.  It retails for about 500 USD.  More information is available at: http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/AIM4170.htm.  It has been reviewed very favorably in a number of places (see Web page for links).

I bought one and I am very impressed with it.  It's a bit more money than the popular hand-held analyzers, but for serious measurements, particularly outside of the range of 50-75 ohms, it's far more accurate.  I compared the AIM4170 to the AEA VIA Bravo, which costs four times more, and the AIM is more accurate at very low impedances (< 10 ohms) and very high impedances (> 1 kohm).

It does require a PC to run, making it less portable than the hand-held units.  However, it will run on batteries and with a laptop, you can take it out in the field to make measurements.

The software interface is very intuitive and easy to use.  Based on my experience so far, it also appears to be bug-free.  The interface provides great flexibility in setting up the instrument (frequency range, frequency resolution, overlaying of multiple traces, scaling of plots, etc.).  Raw data can be saved in the CSV format for post-analysis in MS Excel or other programs.

Immunity to RF overload appears to be quite good.  I took the analyzer to a friend's QTH for antenna measurements.  He lives very close to a 50 KW AM BC station.  With a wideband scope we measured 0.4 V peak RF across the feedpoint of the antenna from the BC station.  However, we had no trouble making good measurements from 160 to 10 meters.  My friend's Autek analyzer completed folded up in the presence of the same interference.  The manual for the AIM4170 indicates 2 V peak is the "damage" threshold for the device.

Another feature, which I find very useful and important, is an automated calibration procedure that compensates for the stray inductance/capacitance of measurement leads.  Those of you who have tried to make measurements of high impedances at high frequencies can appreciate how important this is.

Disclaimer:  I have no affiliation with or commercial interest in the vendor.  I am a very satisfied user and highly recommend this unit.  It provides a lot of performance at a very reasonable price.

73, John W1FV