Topband: Stub measurement error

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Wed Sep 5 19:36:33 EDT 2007

> Here are some measured numbers.  The transmission measured
> frequency of this
> RG-213 stub is 28.535 MHz.  The reflection measured
> frequency is 28.785 MHz.

By transmission and reflection, are you referring to S21 and
S12?

If so, how could it be different with a symmetrical T? The
fact it is different, if you are using a symmetrical T,
means something is wrong in the test setup.

> The reflection measured frequency with the tee is 28.380
> MHz.  The stub has
> 35.8 dB loss at the null frequency.  If the reflection
> measurement is used
> to cut the stub, the attenuation at the desired frequency
> will be about 3 to
> 4 dB less.  That is not acceptable in my book.

That 35 dB wouldn't be true in an antenna system or even
into a dummy load with a transmitter and receiver, because
the real system does not behave anywhere like a pure 50 ohm
source and load like a good generator or S parameter test
set looks like.

Let's look at an example. Say we have a 14.025 signal and
want to null the second harmonic out of a 28.050 receiver.
The 14MHz shorted stub would indeed see around 50 ohms at 14
with a good antenna, but at 28 the impedance where the stub
is connected could be anything. Since the source of the
harmonic isn't 50 j0 or anywhere close at 28 MHz, and since
the load isn't 50j 0 or anywhere close, the attenuation
would be totally different than we measured in an S
parameter test set anyway. So why pick nits?

If we really want to squeeze the last dB out a stub has to
be tuned in the actual working system. If we do that and
move 200kHz on 14 MHz,  it's all out of whack anyway because
the harmonic moved 400kHz..

The bottom line here is if we need 35 dB attenuation and are
depending on a single stub and can't live with 30dB, we'll
only get that through pure dumb luck in the working system.
It won't repeat what we measure no matter what because the
system radically changes.  If a degree of line length
affects the system's performance....it's time to look at the
design. A degree is about one inch on ten meters, or a foot
and a half on 160.

73 Tom