Topband: Extended Inverted "L" Antennas: Epilogue

EP Swynar gswynar at durham.net
Sat Sep 8 07:10:19 EDT 2007

Many thanks to all who responded re. comparisons between the "classic" 1/4-wave inverted "L", & one that's series tuned & 170' long...

For benefit of interested parties not privvy to e-mails which were sent directly to me, group concensus --- backed by considerable computer modelling (thanks, guys!) --- would indicate that the status quo here should remain "as is".

About the only logical "next step" in my situation --- i.e. to reduce horizontally polarized radiation / directivity from the flat-top portions of my 170' "L"'s --- would be for me to convert all of my antennas into individual "T" configurations...not a practical option with the geography of my QTH.

Over the past few days I've been executing some routine maintenace on the different "L" tuning enclosures --- I'll finish that off, cut more radials for each one, then await the end of October, & a new DX season on Top Band...in the interim, I hope to have a 50' high 1/2-wave dipole "cloud warner" in the air for benefit of domestic contests & rag chews on the band.

Thanks again to all who responded, either through the Reflector, or directly...

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ