Topband: RADIAL INTEGRITY

k4pi k4pi at bellsouth.net
Mon Sep 10 19:21:26 EDT 2007

Hi Jerry,  I use a MFJ 854 current probe to measure the current in each
radial when I put power into the antenna.  There are some plans out there
for making your own probe if you prefer to roll your own.   I made record of
the current in each of my radials when they were laid, but I think you could
lay out a  known length and then measure it's current value for use as a
reference for the questionable ones.  I use the model of MFJ that has
selectable current ranges.  I assume you are using a single vertical with
most of the radials are the same approximate length. If you are using a 4
square or something that has the radials hooked to a common bus it might get
a little harder to get a reference.  Maybe some of the other guys have some
better ideas.. 73 Mike K4PI