Topband: Sunday 30-IX-07 Conditions (VE3)

EP Swynar gswynar at durham.net
Sun Sep 30 14:54:00 EDT 2007

Wow...!

This morning, for want of anything better to do(!), I hooked-up my 1500' Beverage to the Yaesu FT-980 at local sunrise, and was almost instantly rewarded with hearing a VERY Q-5 "ZL" calling CQ (no takers, surprisingly), and shortly thereafter, a good-sounding "VK"...

The QRN level is still very much making its presence known here in southern Ontario, alright, but this is exciting stuff for me here, after a long summer's absence away from the band.

A non-related (but still interesting, from a low-band perspective) aside: listening at the bottom end of 40-meters at ~1100 UTC to-day, I copied a very 569 "EA1", and an equally strong "EA7" station calling CQ Contest...that would be at darn near high noon in Spain!

Looking at my "DX Edge" sliderule for October, I can't for the life of me see how their signals could make it across at that time. I called the EA1, but no luck...

This time of year ALWAYS has something of interest for "...enquiring minds"...!

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

PS: Three weeks away here for my lawn mower to commence its annual hibernation...and out come the "L" radials!