Topband: Source for wire?

Herbert Schoenbohm herbs at vitelcom.net
Fri Apr 11 16:38:20 EDT 2008

Subject: Re: Topband: Source for wire?

> Herb, doesn't the higher resistivity of stainless (about 40 times that
> of copper) considerably attenuate the signal?

As I said the lashing wire can't beat copper for conductivity but it is
usable for long Beverages especially over poor ground. It would also IMHO
improve a ground system as any steel conductor would without the
deterioration of aluminum in certain types of soil.

I do remember seeing single steel wire in the infamous G-line design used
for long distance  UHF feeds to tall towers  with conical launchers at each
end transmitting RF for thousands of feet with less loss than any dielectric
line available at that time.  Published losses at UHF frequencies for this
rusty steel wire with launchers at  each end was less than 2 db. For some
reason, of which I never could fine out why, the rustier the wire the better
the G-line was supposed to work!

73

Herb, KV4FZ