Topband: Necessity of a Ground Screen under a well radialedvertical

Rudy Severns n6lf at arrl.net
Tue Aug 5 22:30:37 EDT 2008

Hi Doug,

A year or so ago I posted a report on a experiment with various numbers of
radials on a 160 m vertical.  It's still posted on my web site,
antennasbyn6lf.com (experiment #1) and you might want to read that as it
directly addresses you question.

Since that time I have conducted a very extensive set of  additional
experiments on verticals and radial systems.  These include a direct
comparison between a few elevated radials and lots of ground radials.
Reports on all of these experiments and a description of the test range and
instrumentation are now on my web site and can be downloaded.

In one of the experiments I added a ground screen over 64 radials and was
not able to detect any difference with or without the screen.

73, Rudy N6LF