Topband: RF shielding shack

stoskopf at tri.net stoskopf at tri.net
Mon Aug 11 23:23:15 EDT 2008

Not quite what you are planning, but when I put an 8' X 8' box on a nearby
hill I covered the whole thing with 10 ga steel overlapped 4 inches
everywhere and a steel cover over the door with an interior steel door.
Each 4' wide panel has two cadwelded ground rods directly to ground.  They
are also pinned into the sides of an 8" thick concrete slab a couple of
concrete lag screws at each panel.

I didn't do this for RF shielding, but the previous three shacks up there
were destroyed by wind and there is no place to run for half a mile if up
there.  It served its purpose this spring when a tornado went by within
1/8 mile and ripped all of the elements off a 4 el SteppIR as well as
breaking the boom.  One side of the shack was covered with 1/4" of wet
straw after that.

Wires coming in are not shielded and the only shielding in the floor is
some reinforcing wire.

With all the doors closed:  My 'Atomic Clock' works well.  My cell phone
works well to a tower 6 miles away.  I easily get AM radio inside or out.
Probably I could improve this shielding, but why?

N0UU