Topband: Twisting WD-1A

Dennis W0JX w0jx at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 27 23:58:47 EDT 2008

Twisting WD-1A for a reversible beverage is unecessary in my opinion. The two parallel wires are very close together and the balance is excellent. It makes a decent reversible beverage for 1.8 Mhz.

However, be aware that the line loss is relatively high in the reverse, transmission line mode. I tested this line extensively at 1.8 and 3.5 Mhz using approximately 10 watts of power and very well matched binocular core transformers. I measured a net loss of 5.1 db for 502 feet of line on 1.8 Mhz, and 8.8 db for the 502 foot run at 3.5 Mhz. The loss in the reverse direction goes up significantly at 7 Mhz and higher.

73, Dennis W0JX/8