Topband: DX Engineering ARAV-1P Failures

Lee K7TJR k7tjr at msn.com
Wed Dec 3 12:38:26 EST 2008

    Hi Steve:   The addition of a static draining choke in a Hi impedance antenna system is in my
 opinion an ill advised idea. The DXE amps I believe allready use a peaking resonance utilizing an
 inductor to resonate with the antenna/amp/stray capacitance. This would detune the peak above
 your part of the band. If you are not using the peaking inductors it would produce a peak down
 somewhere around 550 kHz. Not a good idea. As I also believe the DXE amps are input protected
 with clipping diodes it seems the best idea to find the actual components that have failed. Then
 perhaps one could figure what the real failure mechanism is and devise a fix.

    Lee   K7TJR Oregon