Topband: Vertical short dipole ?

Frederick Wagner fhwagner4 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 7 07:05:23 EST 2008

Thanks to the 29 of you who've responded to my QRerP signal in the contest! My best DX tonight is MT and KS. I can hear Canada and the East coast, but they can't hear me. My antenna (don't laugh, I live in a mobile home) is a Valor PHF-160B magmounted on a metal roof, with a couple of radials - 50' or so, fed through a DX Engineering MM-1.
Since proper sized radials are not.possible, I'm wondering if would radiate more effectivelyI used a Hamstick Dipole bracket, and set up as a vertical dipole with two Valor PHF-160B's on a pole so the entire assembly was above the roofline ?
I use a Hamstick dipole on 40, horizontally, with excellent results - fed off the 25ohm tap on the MM-1 that feeds the 160m whip on its 12.5 ohm port.

Would the Vertical Dipole with two Valor whips be worth a try ?

Fred Wagner, KQ6Q
Cypress, CA