Topband: Matching Transformer

Herb Schoenbohm herbs at surfvi.com
Sat Dec 27 09:17:30 EST 2008

Jim Brown wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 18:35:06 -0600, AD5VJ  Bob wrote:
>

>> This ground is not a stake in the ground at the end of the wire,
>>
> Jim Brown wrote in reply: That is NOT a good thing. Don't do that!  You want no coupling to your transmit antenna.
>
> Disconnect it and drive a stake, even if it's not a good stake or a
> long stake.

Rising in disagreement with one of the best audio engineers on the
planet is dangerous....but "fools rush in where angels fear to tread"...

Here it is:......a ROG or radial on ground (attached only to the tower
ground) gains some length due to the VF laying on earth.....this allows
for shorter radials that appear to be at RF longer.  This would help top
banders with limited space..  It may not help in RFI situations but it
sure beats driving a metal stake or nail and the possible effects of a
poor connection and corrosion over time.  I use huge spikes but only to
secure the #12 or #10 solid electrical wire at the far end wrapping it
around the spike but making the copper exposed end pointing skyward out
of the ground after I pound the spike down.

Maybe I am doing it wrong...please let me know.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ