Topband: City Lots

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Dec 29 15:44:59 EST 2008

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 14:39:55 -0500, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

>Our definitions of "city lot" are significantly different.
>Yours may by typical of town homes and row houses in a few
>major center city areas.  However, in my experience 100' x 60'
>(1/6 to 1/4 acre) with back yards in the 40' x 60' range are
>more the norm for city/urban area developments.

I did say CITY LOT, not suburban lot. Chicago (including Evanston,
Oak Park, etc.), New York City and older suburbs, San Francisco
and older suburbs (Palo Alto, Oakland, Berkeley), Cincinnati,
Baltimore, Washington. I'm sure that a lot of other CITIES
(Boston, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Philly to name a few) fit in this
category, but these are some I'm directly familiar with. Taken
together, cities like this probably account for 20% or more of our
population!

The same is true of most European cities and even small towns --
that's a major reason why club stations are so important in EU.

Think about it -- if you operate contests, SF and NLI are pretty
rare sections, yet they are also MAJOR population centers, and
most contesters in those sections are outside the city proper. All
the active guys in the SF section live well outside the city. When
I lived in Chicago, I was one of only three contesters operating
from Chicago, a city of almost 3,000,000 -- AB9H and WO9S were the
others. I think that WO9S operates from a station at the
University of Chicago. K9OR is the only guy in Evanston, and his
lot is also something like 100 ft x 40 ft.

73,

Jim K9YC