Topband: Inverted L SWR change

wa5pok at peoplepc.com wa5pok at peoplepc.com
Tue Dec 30 11:00:27 EST 2008

> The only thing I can conjure is somehow the wire separated and the
> intact insulation is making it look complete but instead of a full
> length of wire, it's a shorter length with a gap between. There are no
> sharp bends anywhere nor kinks for such an occurrence to happen so I
> really doubt that is the answer. I suspect the truth lies elsewhere.
>
> Ideas at this point?

I had once used stranded wire inside teflon insulation and had the
same symptoms and the cause was exactly as you conjured. The
wire was broken inside the insulated wire. The reason it happened, I
finally observed, were squirrels would "sample" the wire and the tell-
tale sign were very tiny nicks in that tough insulation. On my 60' x
90' lot I use tall pine trees to support the antenna. I changed to a
much heavry gauge wire and spaced it from the trees. Maybe this
will give you ideas if you have the errant roadent chewing on stuff.

73, Mike WA5POK