Topband: tar on Beverage feed splices

Jon Zaimes AA1K jz73 at verizon.net
Thu Feb 7 10:50:18 EST 2008

Hi Mike,

Most of my Beverage runs are hardline with splices at various spots
along the way in the woods. I bring the splice a couple of feet above
ground . A short copper pipe doubles as a support and ground rod for the
shield. I use a hose clamp to clamp the shields and pipe together, and a
short jumper wire is soldered between the two center conductors, or they
are cut long enough so a small hose clamp bonds them together. The two
ends point up. I then use an old plastic soda bottle with the end cut
out to fit over the pipe and cables to keep the weather out. This allows
for quick removal and inspection of the joint. I haven't had any
failures (though occasionally a brisk wind will pop the bottle off).

I tried tar, tape, silicone and various other things to seal these
connections and found many would still have enough moisture getting in
to corrode the joints over time. And there was no way to check theme easily.

73/Jon AA1K.