Topband: Daylight QSO's during the SP

Steve London n2icarrl at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 01:35:03 EST 2008

I'm down at latitude 32.8 degrees in SW New Mexico, so a little more daytime
absorption than you near-arctic guys. However, no problem hearing out to 600
miles at local noon during the ARRL or CQ 160 contests. By 2:45 PM local time, I
can hear the stronger W1/W2 stations. They rapidly increase in signal strength
and around 3:15 local time and I can work the ones that have a quiet location
and beverages aimed in this direction. There seems to be a small signal
enhancement on the W1/W2 stations around their sunset, even though it's entirely
a daylight path between here and there. At that time they are stronger than the
W9's who are much closer.

73 and HNY,
Steve, N2IC/5