Topband: Soldering radials etc

Harold Smith w0rihps at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 5 19:37:42 EST 2008

>I wonder if someone could point me in the direction of where
> to buy and what to use to solder radial wire.  I also have some
> 4 inch copper strap I need to join and solder.
> Anything soldered with regular solder goes to white powder
> in a couple months here.
> I know of cadweld to weld ground rods to wire etc.
> I have another field of radials that I need to connect and use.
> Thanks  73 Merv K9FD/KH6

Hi Merv:

You might consider brazing the copper straps together.
I think that even a better idea would be to clean the copper straps with 320
grit wet/dry
sandpaper. Coat with "naolox" or a simular electrical paste. Then join with
10/32 brass
screws, flat washers, lockwashers and nuts. I would put one screw about
every 1/2 inch or so.
Stainless steel hardware would also do a good job.
I could pickup here what ever you need and send it to you.
Nice to see you on 160 last PM.

73 .. Price W0RI