Topband: More radial questions

Bill Axelrod bill at axelrods.org
Tue Jan 8 12:38:45 EST 2008

There always seems to be more questions than answers or even opinions when
it comes to radials.  Here's mine:

I live on the side of a mountain.  The flattest land, which is where my
antennas are, is at about a 20 degree slope.  For my 160 Meter vertical that
means I can easily put quarter wavelength radials on the ground to the
North, East, and South.  But to the West I can only go 30 to 60 feet before
reaching a very steep drop off over about a 60 degree arc.

Question:  Is there any value in using quarter wavelength  size radials in
the southernly direction once they hit the very steep drop off or would I do
just as well using 30 to 60 foot radials ending at the steep drop off?

Thanks and 73...   Bill K3WA