Topband: Daylight 160 Sked

Lee K7TJR k7tjr at msn.com
Tue Jan 15 13:58:21 EST 2008

     Well that was a very interesting daylight test this a.m. . My Beverages were very noisy today as was the TX vertical. Only station heard and worked easily was K8IA at about 920 miles. Very large and slow QSB swings . The noise on the TX vertical is about s5-6 today and K8IA was above that at s-7 to 8 most of the time. Most interesting to me was the RX antennas. My Beverage antennas (1kft long) seemed noisy this a.m. like the TX antenna (1 extra s-unit).
    K8IA was in and out of the noise on them both with QSB. Most interesting was the short vertical array that produced at least 6db or more S/N improvement over the other antennas on reception. Normally the small verticals would be equal to the Beverage . Wish I would have recorded and/or measured the difference in readability (I use Spectran to guage SNR) as it was huge.
     Most interesting! I think 1000 miles seems quite doable but 2000 has not happened yet here. And, you can never have too many antennas.
   Lee K7TJR Oregon