Topband: CABLE MODEMS

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Fri Jan 18 15:48:05 EST 2008

> COMCAST here in MASS just changed to a different combo
> cable
> and telephone modem....and I was knocking it right off
> line
> with the first dit on 160 as well...

I had problems with a new ADSL installation and 160 meters.
The problem is the ADSL system uses carriers up to 1 MHz or
higher. So when you filter you can't hurt the level of those
carriers or the speed will drop or sync become erratic.

The original modem was a little tiny cheap Netopia 2210-02.
160 meters just killed it despite my having a very clean
installation (all telco cables on my property are shielded,
grounded, away from TX antennas, minimum length possible,
and buried) and I constructed  some very good filtering.

I just plugged in a 2701HG-B Gateway ATT sent me as a
replacement and there is absolutely no RFI at all even when
I beam right at the modem.

The new modem was the result of reaching someone in tech
support who understood RFI problems. He told me the Netopia
2210-02 was not very good near transmitters and the 2701HG-B
Gateway was far better. He was correct.

73 Tom