Topband: Phased out in Boring Oregon

Tree tree at kkn.net
Mon Jan 21 00:54:12 EST 2008

Well - here is possibly my "final report" on the phased array experiments.

I do believe my last attempt was working pretty well.  It involved detuning
the gamma matched tower and using the ground system for it with a second
wire "tee" antenna similar to my other element...  This antenna seemed to
be directional - and did seem to get out.

My biggest problem with it is that I had no reference antenna to compare it
to - since it involved "destroying" my gamma matched tower.

So - today - I went back to a parasitic array.  I put the wire element
about 90 feet away from the gamma matched tower - and tuned it for about
1910 kHz.  Then, I wound a coil to bring the resonance down to about
1760 kHz.  A couple of relays enabled me to either use this second element
as a reflector or director...  or also I could open them both and have
the gamma matched tower working on its own.

This allows me to compare the performance of the beam to the single
element.

This evening - RA4LW was like a beacon on the band.  Vlad reported seeing
an S unit improvement in my signal with the reflector.  That is probably
a generous estimate - but I am glad to see it was a significant difference.

I can hear a nice little bump in his signal when I switch it in.  In fact,
at one point, Vlad got loud enough that I was able to work him with just
100 watts!!!  I was stunned that no other European signals were coming
through.

I do have about 40 radials down with this element.  I will be adding
another 10 or 20 before the CQ 160 contest.

73 Tree N6TR
tree at kkn.net