Topband: RE elevated radials

peter dixon pj_dixon at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 27 17:42:17 EST 2008

Hi allI have an inverted L about 40 ft vertical 84 ft horizontal,most of the earth system consists >of chicken wire abt 15ft wide ,30ft long wide under the grass under the horizontal wire with the  odd length of wire  going in another direction .The antenna is fed at the edge of the garage roof 8ft above the ground and 12ft above the grass.not much in the way of radials to the N side of the vertical ie under the garage. So I'm thinking if I put radials under the roof of the garage I'll be doing myself a favour...so abt 6 x20ft lengths were put there. Testing with the locals (all within 10 miles) during daylight when I switch in the new radials the signal goes down.by about 5dB..I'm assuming that if I improve the sig with locals that means better ground wave which means better low angle? I got to test it with DX this week,Pedro NP4A was an excellent sig on Tuesday and switching them in took my sig down 1 S pt!! The extra radials make the SWR go from 1.5 to 1.1 and there already exists a ring of wire in the foundations of the garage, and there's a fair bit of metal stored in the garage! What's going on?> _______________________________________________> Topband mailing list> Topband at contesting.com> http://lists.contesting.com/mailman/listinfo/topband