Topband: Thanks for the memories: the glory days of 160

Milt, N5IA n5ia at zia-connection.com
Sat Jul 5 11:18:48 EDT 2008

> EP Swynar wrote:
> I guess ANY so-called "glory days" are all relative...heck, some time in
> the
> not too distant future, even TO-DAY might fall into that celebrated
> category!
>
> Who knows?

I am with Eddie on this one.  My thrills and my "glory days" are past and
present, and I sincerely hope are in the future also.

Early on the thrill was using an upright console radio tuned just above the
AM broadcast and LAPD signals with a Knight Kit VFO as a BFO for receiving
Topband signals.  And it worked to get local Qs.

Through the years the various QRP contacts during contests with VK, ZL and
JA have been adrenelin pumpers.

Making grey line contacts to distant locations in both east and west
directions when all the theory worked in textbook fashion has been and still
is a thrill.

The last night opening to North America while operating at XZ0A in 2000
caused me to slump in exhaustion after it was over; and then to cry (yes,
grown men can cry) when thinking and talking about it a short time later.

And most recently the two nights of CQ 160 SSB while operating VP6DX created
a "glory day" for me.  It was a culmination of years of construction and
operating knowledge, coupled with an extraordinary opportunity, and then
having all the planets (propagation wise) line up in my favor.  Making a
world high score in a major 160 Meter contest, from the southern hemisphere
in the middle of summer, is still near inconceivable to me.

So, get after it Doug.  You will have your own special "Glory Days" as time
goes onward.

Milt, N5IA