Topband: 5/160 installation results report

Sam M ka5oai at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 06:33:17 EDT 2008

Paul Marbourg wrote:

> It was my understanding that he has
> corrected this engineering oversight with the reed switch.  Perhaps you
> purchased your 5-160RT prior to a couple of years ago?  If so, or if Charley
> still has not corrected the problem, you will need to change out the type of
> magnetic reed switch inside your antenna.

wow, lots of effort on your part to correct those problems.
Thankfully I am not having any rfi type issues with my current setup, that may
or may not change with the addition of my new 300w amplifier, we shall see. Also
If I ever go to an automatic tuner I will keep your solutions in mind!

My 5/160 was just purchased about 30 days ago, so that should mean I am one of
the fortunate ones who are enjoying all your and Charlie's efforts to correct
that sensor problem.

At this point I tend to think the error on the MFJ 1922B counters readings is
due to the 4 counts per one complete revolution. That combined with me going
past the sweet spot and reversing and bumping the up/down switch back and forth
a few times......
I can understand after a full days operating consisting of maybe 10-12 band
change excursions, combined with my tendency to want to be 'dead on' the lowest
swr, rather than 'close enough' and then feeding that into a tuner to finalize
the issue and 'make things right........ Probable that part of the issue is
simply my operating habits.

Thanks again for the feedback.
--
GB & 73