Topband: RE FT1000 MKV Filters, correction

Raoul Coetzee raoulc at smmcape.co.za
Fri Jul 25 13:47:15 EDT 2008

Sorry, I DO have the RX DSP turned in in the menu, I just do not use APF, most of the time.There are conditions/qrn where I do use the noise reduction provided by Yaesu, mostly NR C or D on the NR switch.
What I am trying to establish is whether the second IF filter, 8.215 MHz  of say 250 Hz  wide,would help  noise reduction when used with a Yaesu 250 Hz fllter used in the 455KHz IF. In other words, do cascading the filters provide better signal to noise? I am sure it would, also, reducing some  wideband noise before it hits the 3 rd IF should be beneficial? Also, is a "poor" 250 Hz filter worse than a good 400 Hz fliter, I mean, the skirt of the 250 Hz filter must be quite bad and pass a lot off unwanted energy before it can be worse than the 400 Hz filter that pass the noise in any case but with good skirts?
Just trying to get to the bottom of it . Do I need to spend more dollars on filters, I can't do much more on my RX setup without moving qth!
73 all, ZS1REC Raoul