Topband: Polyphaser protection for 4 sq

David Raymond daraymond at iowatelecom.net
Tue Jun 10 06:57:17 EDT 2008

Greetings everyone from a wet and flooded Iowa. . .

I have had some problems with lightning getting into the Comtek box on my 160 meter four square array.  I have used many Polyphaser protective devices here on other antennas and control lines with good success.  Would the installation of the Polyphaser devices cause adverse problems with the existing phasing of the array?  The Polyphaser devices are basically a large capacitor in series with the feed to isolate transients.  I would prefer (for mechanical reasons) to put the Polyphaser devices on each element with the device being mounted right at the Comtek box looking into the phasing lines.  However, I could mount the devices out at the far end of the phasing lines right at the base of each antenna element if needed.

Is it even possible to install the Polyphaser devices without altering or upsetting the phasing?  Are there other good approaches to lightning protection for the array?

73 to all. . .Dave
W0FLS