Topband: TX5C

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Mar 10 18:45:13 EDT 2008

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 17:04:14 -0400, Herbert Schoenbohm wrote:

>I can not agree with Dave on the TX5C TB signal strength nor on their
>ability to RX.

I've got two transmit antennas here for topband -- an 86 ft top loaded
Tee vertical and a dipole at 110 ft broadside to about 55 degrees. For
some reason, the dipole has been almost 10 dB better than the vertical to
TX5C two nights in a row. That's especially strange, since they're nearly
off the end of it!  It implies a rather high angle path. VP6DX was
generally stronger here than TX5C, even though TX5C is half the distance
to me (near SF).

BTW, Herb -- I always hear you during contests with a decent signal, but
am almost never able to raise you. Dunno why -- I running 1.4 kW, call
you at various times of the evening,  and can work others in your
direction without undue difficulty.

73,

Jim K9YC