Topband: Poor 160 conditions & TX5C

George (K8GG) & Marijke Guerin gmguerin at voyager.net
Tue Mar 11 12:19:19 EDT 2008

Fellow Topbanders:

Have you considered how good the conditions were during most of the VP6DX
operation?

Yesterday morning and this morning, 11 Mar 2008, the NOAA POES aurora index
was about 9.  Lots of tomato red auroral disturbance!  I realize this
greatly affects the trans-polar contacts where the great circle paths
between stations travel above 60 deg N latitude or 60 deg S latitude, and
may not have a direct bearing on shorter paths such as from TX5C to JA, but
sometimes things just stink no matter how good one's RX and TX antennas
operate.

Personally, yesterday morning around 1200 was FB for Oceana for me.  VK6HD
was a true 599 for a few minutes at sunrise and TX5C was nearly 599 and was
begging for contacts on 160 around 1215 zulu time.

YMMV.        Good luck & 73

George    K8GG