Topband: Inverted L

Rick Stealey rstealey at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 3 10:15:30 EST 2008

John,
SWR is not the best criterion for determining the optimum number of radials.
In fact if your impedance is 50ohms and no reactance you still have a lot of
ground losses.
I have a very similar antenna and my MFJ259 reads 25 ohms at resonance
(zero reactance, by definition).  I have only 16 65 ft radials and I know I need
more.  I think that means in your case you will gain a few more db by getting
your losses down to where adding more radials doesn't change the impedance.
This will mean, yes, you will not have 1:1 swr at resonance.  You will need
a little L network, or just live with that minor SWR on the coax feed.

Rick  K2XT