Topband: Inverted L

w2pm at aol.com w2pm at aol.com
Wed Nov 5 14:49:28 EST 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: w2pm at aol.com
To: sebdesn at comcast.net
Sent: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 2:48 pm
Subject: Re: Topband: Inverted L

  partial excerpt:

-----Original Message-----
From: sebdesn <sebdesn at comcast.net>
To: topband at contesting.com
Sent: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 3:59 pm

The work I have not seen done (hint, hint, N6LF) is to quantify the
effect
of starting with the limited count, very short radial field ( 8, 12, or
16
radials) then as you add to the radial count make the new radials
longer
than the existing ones.
New length(s) to be based on the table that has been presented here
while
still retaining the shorter radials...
- which is based on the monograph published by Brown, Lewis, and
Epstein in
June 1937 while working for RCA -
It does not seem likely to me that the short radials will suddenly lose
their efficiency at gathering in earth currents simply because of the
presence of longer radials interspersed between them...

W2PM Reply

This was an interesting and informative reply. However, it appears to
be based on my earlier message regarding the rearrangement of the
radial system here. My point was that the significant apparent
performance enhancement was due to neat arrangement of the few radials
in an orderly pattern - evenly spaced radially from base. Prior to tha,
there were 10 less radials but not carefully laid out with 12 of them
clumped in one convenient direction, the 10 or so others laid as
convenient with most them far apart from each other. With the new
arrangement the 32 wires are laid on ground (with staples) in a regular
200 deg pattern. I needed to do significant site work to allow for the
neater pattern. This appears to support a notion - perhaps even a fact
- that the closer proximity of all the radials increases the field
efficiency. The 10 additional longer radials Im sure helped as well,
but that was coincidental to the new pattern arrangement.

73 W2PM