Topband: Feedpoint voltage

Gary Smith Gary at doctorgary.net
Mon Nov 17 17:51:07 EST 2008

Another bugaboo for me to deal with;

I have the 160 inverted L set up pretty much ready to go. I have
about 150' of wire antenna set up somewhat similar to what you see
here http://users.erols.com/k3mt/inv_u/u_160.htm except I have far
more radials laid out. I will have the antenna resonant on the CW
portuion of the band and will not be needing more range than that.

Problem is the capacitor. I have several Vacuum variables around here
that are missing the threaded screw/adjusting attachment. I could
work out something that would make any of these work but I do have
one VV that has arced some time in the past (copper on glass &
multiple light pitting from RF). It has a dedicated adjustment and it
still has a good suck to seat back in place when it's pulled out. I'm
thinking this would be a good one to use in that it's already damaged
and I wouldn't mind using it outside. I checked it with a Tel Ohm
Mike and it has about 320pf at full engagement.

The markings are:
Vacap Corp - Union City, NJ
VVC 300 - 42 - 10
SM-B-184928
A google says it runs from 20-300pf at 10KV

I don't know the history of this VV and am wanting to run the legal
limit through the antenna and know the real voltage is at the distal
end of the antenna and the current is max at the feedpoint. I don't
however have a clue as to wether a cap in series at the feedpoint
will undergo a lot of voltage or not. Knowing the fellow (SK) who
owned this VV before me, it surely was in a tank of a multi KW amp
and it arced because he abused it; so in all likelihood, the vacuum
is is probably intact. Even if weak, I'm thinking it would probably
be all I'll need.

I have no hi-pot to test it so I'm asking for thoughts as to wether
there's a lot of volts expected here with a Titan 425 driving it on
160. And if a VV such as this one sounds like a worthwhile item for
this purpose.

Thanks

Gary
KA1J