Topband: Not so Boring QSO

Tree tree at kkn.net
Wed Nov 19 11:51:03 EST 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 07:38:31AM -0600, Charles Bibb wrote:

> However, last night ZS1JX was a true 599 at his sunrise.  We'd
> already worked, so I didn't call him.

This is reminding me of the excellent openings experienced during the last
sunspot minimum.  ZS4TX was worked a number of times.  He would show up at
his sunrise and have a large pileup.  He was often as strong as the pileup
was here - and could be worked with one call while the pileup was still
raging.

I think being close to the antipode had something to do with it - or the
pipeline between Oregon and ZS4.  W7YAQ was successful in working him with
100 watts and a 1/4 wave sloper off of a pretty short tower.

I suspect the next couple of months are going to be great fun on the band.
Looking forward to working a pile of Scandinavian stations some morning.

73 Tree N6TR/7
Boring, OR