Topband: Beginner question

Mark Lunday, WD4ELG mlunday at nc.rr.com
Wed Nov 26 13:19:30 EST 2008

Under the guidance of "any antenna is better than no antenna," and
"verticals radiate poorly in all directions," and "just put something up and
get on the air," I am running an off-center-fed 80-10 dipole from Buckmaster
on 160 using the rig tuner in my 570.  I know the SWR is such that the
feedline is radiating.

Question: should I even bother asking the XYL for a Cushcraft MA160V for
Christmas?  I have the MA8040V already, and it has 4 radials for 80.  I
heard that the base is the same for both antennas, so I could get by with
the MA8040V ground pole and just insert the MA160V.  Otherwise, I can just
keep radiating with the OCF dipole.

I can do an inverted L, but I don't have any room for radial fields at this
stage...and I would like to re-use what I already have in place.

Thanks for the guidance.

Mark Lunday
WD4ELG
wd4elg at arrl.net