Topband: New CQ160 contest Rules

Ralph Matheny mathenyr at marietta.edu
Fri Nov 28 10:55:19 EST 2008

While I'm not a big gun in this matter, the fact is that being in the
eastern half of the US is an advantage in any 160 contest where the simple
number of DXCC countries or zones is a basis for score.  There is more 160
activity in europe, over 20 countries or more on any given night.  In
Asia, where the west coast guys get a big edge, there is a lot of
activity, but most of it is in Japan.  The starting or ending time of the
contest won't change that.

Better ways?  Well, I like the grid system used in the Stew Perry, for
example.  I'm surprised that it hasn't caught on to a greater extent.
It's not perfect either.

I think the rules changes are OK.  East Coast vs Midwest vs West Coast
advantages/disadvantages tend to wash out in the long run.  We all must
play the hand we are delt.

Ralph Matheny
K8RYU
207 Gibbons Place