Topband: Vertical training days

Ed Stallman n5dg at airmail.net
Sun Nov 30 10:29:18 EST 2008

I'm in vertical training all 1/4 wl, started with 30m, it's working
great with 32 ground radials . then a 40m vertical , thought I would
try 4 elevated radials. I couldn't be happier with the way it's
performing, working some long path !

Friday the 80m vertical went up and this is were I have questions.
The 80m vert is made from 6ft sections of aluminum starting at 2 1/8
at the base , tapering to 3/4 inch at the top and a total of 67 feet.
I was thinking 67 foot would be to long but it doesn't seem to be
long enough for 3.5 MHz cw . .. Getting late Friday, I ran 8 evenly
spaced 67 foot ground radials , then checked the VSWR with my MFJ
right at the base of the antenna. At 3.590 MHz it was flat and
showing 49 ohms . then  moving down the band 3.510 it was 1.4 VSWR
... all is fine so far.

Saturday, I added 24 more radials making a total of 32. I would add 8
at a time then checking at the base with the MFJ . I noticed each
time I would add 8 radials the resonant freq would move up some .
After all 32 radials were on the ground , It was 1.2 swr and 38 ohms
at 3.650 . This gives me a 2:1 at 3510

It wouldn't be that hard to lower it and add to the length , or would
it be ok to add a coil at the base?
I have an 80m dipole that is 250ft away from the vertical that I'm
using to compare and I'm only seeing a slight improvement with the
vertical, sometimes the dipole is better .

I am hearing the DX very well but it didn't take me long to figure
out that I'm weak to them with the QRZ's , ? , busted call or nothing
at all . This is using the antenna at the 2:1 and the power is a KW

Maybe the dipole , 250ft away is interfering with the vertical ?
Are the radials to long, short ? I'm planing on adding 32 more later.

Any suggestions are well excepted

Ed N5DG ex N5BLZ

PS : The 160 will be next.