Topband: UPDATE >> 160 m propagation polar path

EP Swynar gswynar at durham.net
Thu Oct 30 13:30:01 EDT 2008

On 30th October, Denny wrote:

"...How about just get on the band when you can and hope there is some
propagation?"

**********************************

Hi Denny,

That's precisely what I believe everyone does on 160 anyway...!

Like all relative newcomers to semi-serious DX'ing on the band, I personally
have tried to predict both good times, as well as bad, utilizing such tools
as "A" indices, "K" indices, solar wind velocity, auroral activity, ad
nauseam...

It continually confounded me, though, how a supposedly "good" day would
inevitably end-up being a disaster propagation-wise, and how a predicted
"bad" day would quite often accompany the entry of a new one for 160 DXCC
into my logbook...!

About the ONLY predicatble thing that I've ever found about the band ---
IMHO --- is the 27 (28?) day solar cycle, wherein history really DOES repeat
itself every 4 weeks, or so (after a fashion)...but even this isn't
foolproof.

I guess if 160 really COULD be read like a book, and was predictable to the
"nth degree" by way of some oracle, or other, then most of the addicted
denizens therein would probably abandon it altogether & take up something a
little more adventurous...like collecting stamps, Hi Hi.

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ