Topband: Beverage antenna ground

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Oct 31 11:37:30 EDT 2008

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 21:33:10 -0500, K4SAV wrote:

>For the rod on the coax end, I don't connect my coax shield to it to
>avoid common mode pickup problems.

On both of my two reversible Beverages built with DXE hardware, I bond the
DXE boxes to the 8 ft ground rods, and I use a serious coaxial choke tuned
to cover 160M and 80M to isolate the coax from the antenna. They work well
on 80 and 160, only so-so on 40M, and pretty well on 20M. The choke is
something like 7-8 turns of RG6 through the "big #31 clamp-on" described
in the tutorial on my website.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC