Topband: Beverage Orientation

wa5pok at peoplepc.com wa5pok at peoplepc.com
Fri Oct 31 20:57:38 EDT 2008

> Not being a math whiz, I am calling on you in this group that is to
> give me a solution on the installation of a new Beverage.
>
> I have an existing 720 foot Beverage, oriented 325 degrees. I plan to
> run another 720 foot wire in parallel with it, and the termination
> post at the far (NW) end will be common to both antennas. The question
> is how many feet northeast of the existing post at the feed point end
> of the 325 degree antenna do I place the feed point for the new
> antenna if an orientation of 290 degrees is the target? Both wires are
> 720 feet long, and will meet at the termination end.
>
> Thanking you in advance for the solution!
>
> (((73)))
> Phil, K5PC

Nifty Problem. It will also make a great test problem for my honors
physics kiddos. Thanks. There are many ways of solving this. Pure
math, pure graphical, or a combination of the two. It took me a bit
over an hour ... 45 minutes of looking for my drafting stuff, 15
minutes of planning where to have BBQ and 807s with my neighbor
and 2 minutes to solve graphical and another minute to verify parts
mathematically.

The distance is 439' and the angle from true North is 42 degrees. If
you want, I can scan the graphical method and e-mail to you. I
verified the distance using the length of a cord for an arc of 35
degrees and plotted the direction on graph paper.

73, Mike WA5POK