Topband: Boring Report

Tree tree at kkn.net
Fri Sep 19 15:41:44 EDT 2008

Continue to work VK3ZL most every morning around 1235 UTC.  VK6ABL is also
often there.

Yesterday morning, I was helping some people take down a tower at the QTH
of W7GG - and was at nearby W7YAQ's before sunrise.  Bob has a K3 running
100 watts to a Cushcraft MA160V.  This antenna stands about 30 feet high.
Bob had only six radials under it - 40 or 50 feet long.

He proudly reported working TWO Europeans a few nights before!!

I showed up around 1245z, but it appeared VK3ZL had gone to bed.  However,
VK6ABL was still around and I was able to hook up with him for a QSO!!

Very impressive result with such a small antenna and minimal ground system.

I was thinking you could phase two of these and get a little gain and a
nice F/B ratio out of them.

I heard Bob calling OJ0B last night - which is the main part of my report.
OJ0B was peaking nicely and Q5 a good part of the time last night.  They
are supposed to be on the air for another couple of weekends, so hopefully
lots of the deserving will get them in the log.

73 Tree N6TR
tree at kkn.net